Wordle allows you to create a word cloud and totally create it the way you want. You can tweak the font of the words, the layout color, the shape of the words, and the angle of the words, etc. It really is amazing. Also, the site allows you to print your work or publish to the gallery so it can be shared. It could be used in so many ways in the classroom. The possibilities are endless.
On the site there is also a forum where you can post questions or just comments. I noticed several teachers on the forum discussing ways they used Wordle in their classroom. What a great resource for ideas!
Here is a Wordle on Web 2.0 tools that I made using the site:
Here is another one that I found that was great:
As a teacher, I can definitely see myself using this tool as a great collaborative learning tool as well as for individuals. I think it's fantastic. The only down side I found with this website is that all work is shared on the internet- it cannot be saved privately (that I could find). When I went on the gallery to search for my Wordle after I made it, I saw Wordles that people had created that used profanity. So if this was used in the classroom, it would have to be really monitored well. I would probably have to not allow my students to go in the gallery (they're only in 2nd grade) and just have them print their Wordle out and share among themselves.
I really like this tool. Is one of the many Web 2.0 tools that I was exposed in the first ETC class that I took for this graduate program.
ReplyDeleteI haven't been on to play with it yet, but it looks like a great tool. What a creative way to present information, connect ideas, and link vocabulary words. I'm excited to try it out.
ReplyDelete